It’s Labor day weekend and I found some spare time on my hands to do a little experimenting. Back in the pre-paleo day’s, my good girlfriend’s mom use to make the most bomb-ass rum cake. It was cake crack, you couldn’t stop eating it. Anyways, I have been craving that friggin’ rum cake, so I decided to take a whack at it- paleo style.
A few months back (when I was still living in Chicago), my mom and I decided to go to a famous Polish deli in the loop. Besides having the best meat ever, they had tons of great baking alternatives- I was shocked! My favorite find were these tiny bottles of essence. They had every flavor known to man: almond, crème, poppyseed, pear, orange, and of course, RUM.
Also, I need to give credit for the name of these little cakes to my friend. He had never heard of rum cake and started to refer to them as “rumpelstiltskin’s”, naturally, I thought it was the perfect name.
On another note, I finally bit the bullet and purchased my very own ice cream maker! So, I thought it would be fun to make some paleo approved ice cream to go with these babies. Since it was my first time ever making homemade ice cream, I decided to follow THIS recipe. In a nutshell, this ice cream is tastayyy. Plus, it goes perfectly with my Drunken Rumpelstiltskin’s.
Look at this scrumptiousness….
- 2 cup plus 2 tsp coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 5 whole eggs (2 of them separated)
- 1/2 cup grass fed unsalted butter (melted) (I love Kerrygold!)
- ¼ cup of coconut sugar (melted in the butter)
- 1 Tablespoon Rum essence
- ½ tablespoon of crème essence
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- juice of half of a small lemon
- ¾ cup of chopped pecans
- ¼ cup of melted ghee/grass-fed butter
- ¼ cup of almond flour
- 3 Tbs of coconut sugar (melted in ghee)
Take 2 of the 5 eggs, crack them and leave the egg whites on the side. Place the 2 egg yolks and 3 eggs in a bowl with salt, baking soda, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and coconut flour.
Melt the butter and the coconut sugar over the stove. Once it is melted add the Rum essence and crème essence.
- Add the melted butter to the rest of the ingredients and combine until smooth.
- Take the egg whites that you placed on the side and whip (with a blender) until you see soft peaks form. Fold this into the batter.
- Place batter into lined cupcake pans.
- Melt the ghee and the coconut sugar over the stove. Be sure to not burn the coconut sugar. You can always add some vanilla extract and almond essence if on hand!
- Once melted, add to the chopped pecans. Add almond flour and mix together until incorporated.
- Distribute the topping evenly among the cupcakes
- Place the cupcakes in the oven, cook for 18-23 minutes at 350°F! These will have a consistency close to a pound cake.
Don’t forget to add the snicker-doodle ice cream. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but these really are FAN-TASTIC. Cheers!