Trail mix is a staple in a paleo kitchen. Here’s the deal though, a lot of those mixes you buy (even at our beloved Trader Joe’s) have added sugar in them…yes, ADDED SUGAR. Can you believe it? I couldn’t. So, instead of buying all the prepackaged mixes, I just make my own. It’s super fast and easy, leaving no reason not to make it yourself.
I buy all my trail mix supplies at TJ’s (a.k.a Trader Joe’s) because it’s actually affordable. Just be sure to read the ingredients when you are buying all your dried fruits! You’ll be shocked how many of them have added sugar especially cranberries. If you L♥VE cranberries, I suggest buying THESE for your trail mix.
Here in NYC, today finally felt like the first day of fall. It was a gorgeous, sunny day, and the air had that crisp, clean feeling. No more of that muggy shit, thank goodness! Any-who, this trail mix was inspired by the fall, obvi. It’s pretty simple: pumpkin seeds, cherries, roasted almonds, walnut pieces, yellow raisins, dried apple rings, and pecan halves.
Fall Trail Mix
Ingredients (All from Trader Joe’s):
- 1 bag Roasted Almonds, unsalted (you can always use salted almonds, I just don’t like the added sodium)
- 1/2 bag of Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 bag Raw Walnut Pieces or Halves
- 1 bag Raw Pecan Halves
- 1 bag of Dried Bing Cherries
- 1/2 bag of Seedless Yellow Thompson Raisins
- 1 bag of Dried Apple Rings
- Throw it all together in a zip-lock
- Give it a good shake
- Voila, easy as pie!