I L♥VE Shishito peppers! I happened to come across these babies in a small deli right next to my apartment. Literally, I lost my shit when I saw them- the store clerk thought I was nuts. Any who, these are so easy and so delicious, BUT really hard to come by. Which is semi-shocking. It’s just a pepper, right? Think again, honey. This little pepper hails from Asia, making it very different from our standard padrón or bell.
Here’s a little tid-bit on Shishito Peppers:
- 1 of every 10 peppers is spicy
- It is of east Asian origin
- It’s full Asian name is Shishitōgarashi, but it shortened to Shishito
I just love these little guys. They are the perfect snack! Basically zero calories, but packed with flavor. YE BE WARNED: If you see Shishito Peppers on a menu somewhere, make sure they are not deep fried because they very well could be. I stay clear of anything and everything deep fried. That’s my own choice, technically, on paleo, you can deep fry certain foods as long as you do it in your own home.
Easy Shishito Peppers
- 1 pint of Shishito Peppers
- 3 Tbp of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Place a large sauté pan on stove and set to medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- After about a minute, add the shishito peppers and coat them in the oil.
- Now, wait! You will hear some crackling and airing, this is totally normal. Keep stirring around the peppers.
- Once they have a nice blister on the outside skin (this will be around 5-7 minutes), turn down the heat to low.
- Cook another minute or so, if needed. Add as much sea salt as you like.
- They should be kinda crunchy still! Enjoy!