I came down with a little bug this week and I was exhausted. So exhausted, that I actually skipped the gym on Wednesday. Yes, I – Stevie Marie Mardjetko – skipped the gym… this NEVER happens. When I skip the gym, that’s really when something’s up. Here’s what I have learned: you must listen to your body. Simple enough, right? HA! Good joke. I’m a 23 yr old living in the Big Apple, juggling 3 different jobs, working out, writing a blog, and attempting to have a social life…for being such a health nut, I do not really listen to my body enough.
Anyways, on Friday my voice teacher yelled and me and told me to go home and rest, so I listened to her! Unfortunately, I am such a busy-body, that it is difficult for me to just sit still. So, of course, I was in the kitchen cooking all night. A few new recipes were born (I’ll be posting those soon!), but since I was not feeling good I thought chicken soup would be perfect.
I L♥VED this soup! You feel all warm and fuzzy inside with every bite. Also, its cheap to make and super duper easy. Magic word: CROCKPOT. I have the small crockpot and it is the perfect size cuz i’m only eating for one- duh.
Just Like Mama Make’s It Chicken Soup
- 1 cup of carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of celery, chopped
- 8 cups of chicken stock (I think stock is wayyy more flavorful than broth), organic (make sure you read the ingredients, just in case!)
- 2 Large Chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepp
- 2 Large tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 1 cup of white wine (I L♥VE my French Whites)
- Salt & Pepp to taste
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- Chop all your veggies and place in the bottom of the crock pot, add the minced garlic
- Season your chicken breasts and place on top of the chopped veggies
- Add the chicken stock and white wine
- Place on high for 8 hours or low for 5 hours
- Once the chicken is cooked through, take the breasts out of the broth and shred with a fork and knife, then simply place the shredded chicken back into the crockpot
- Season with salt & pepp to taste! (Believe me, salt goes along way and really help bring the flavors out!
- Enjoy your wonderfully warm bowl of Mama’s Chicken Soup! Let me tell you, it hits the friggin spot.