I can’t thank Finley enough for this AWESOME recipe. She asked me to do a guest post on her amazing paleo blog playpaleo, but I have been so crazed trying to balance my mother being in town, my marketing position, and the jewelry biz that I have had NO time to perfect a recipe, BUT in the meantime, I asked finely to do a guest post on The Baconista and she happily accepted :] She obviously got her guest post done before mine. APOLOGIES! I can only hope to have something yummy for Play Paleo by this week. FINLEY FORGIVE ME! Thanks so much for this delectable brussels sprout & bacon recipe. Two of my MOST FAV ingredients EVA’. Cheers everyone, don’t forget to check out Finley’s amazing Play Paleo blog! ♥
What an honor it is to be so graciously hosted on one of my new favorite paleo blogs, The Baconista! Stevie and I graduated in the same high school class and, I must admit, I always had a non-creepy girl crush on her. She was always this super cute, tiny, witty and well-dressed beyotch – meanwhile I was stomping around our high school halls like Andre the Giant in size 10 sneakers and gym clothes. I’ve come a long way…
So being the total paleo rock star she is, I’ve tried my hand in a few of Stevie’s recipes – all of which are the bomb. I made her paleo pseudo-toffee last week and could barely get the stuff in a storage container before eating all of it. I had melted chocolate and coconut remnants on my face for like hours…didn’t care. It made for a nice snack later in the day…
On to my recipe! I bring you this dish in honor or my crazy insane obsession with the bacon/brussels sprouts combination. I like my b-sprouts all ways…except steamed. Something about steamed b-sprouts makes me think of something an old senile grandmother would prepare “back in the day” before the glory of roasting them in magic existed (“magic” being bacon grease). I WILL enjoy them sautéed, roasted and even raw. WHAT? RAW BRUSSELS SPROUTS? You sick mother******. Ok…take a deep breath, de-wad your panties and let me explain. I won’t consume a whole, bitter, un-sauced sprouts raw – nor would I suggest it. But, as per this recipe, I’ll get totally buck wild with some raw shredded b-sprouts tossed with bacon and a delicious sauce of sorts. Ya…I know…I’m real crazy…going “buck wild” with brussels sprouts and all. #mylifeisexciting
Thanks, Stevie for letting me rant on your site!! ♥
Mustard & Bacon Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked to your preference
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard (Sir Kensington’s is very clean)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (again, I used Sir Kensignton’s…but here is a great homemade, clean mayo recipe)
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Small handful of dried cranberries
- Small handful of pine nuts
- Optional: 1 tsp honey
- Cook your bacon to your preference. Remember to save the grease!!
- Meanwhile, shred your sprouts. Halve the sprouts and put them in a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until shredded and slaw like. If you are lazy, Trader Joe’s actually sells bags of pre-shredded sprouts. You might want to get two bags if you go this route, because I don’t think it yields a whole pound’s worth of b-sprouts.
- In a bowl, mix together bacon crumbles, shredded sprouts, mustard, mayo, balsamic, dried cranberries, pine nuts and honey (if using). If this slaw is too “dry” for your preference, add more mustard and mayo 1 tsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Store in the fridge!
Servings: 4-6 side servings