I have finally perfected my recipe. This is SO FLIPPIN’ GOOD. It sure took me long enough! I just got back from a conference in Boston. It was nice to visit my college town and some of my bestest gal pals. Let me tell ya: it’s rough sometimes when I can’t cook for myself
- I miss it!
- My stomach never feels the same when I am eating out all the time…
- you really DON’T know what’s going exactly into your food.
Anyways, I went a bit cray-cray today and did a lot of catching up in the kitchen… Banana pumpkin bread, coconut bread, homemade italian sausage, carrot cake and frosting…the list goes on. I already have a plan for a brand new cake recipe. I am super duper excited about this one…May I present: The Neapolitan Cake. You’ll have to stay tuned for that baby! But, for now, enjoy the carrot cake deliciousness…
Classic Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5 whole Raw Carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup Grade B Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Coconut Flour, sifted
- 1 Tbsp ground Cinnamon
- ½ tbs cream of tartar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 10 Pastured Eggs, ½ separated (make egg white peaks and add in at end for fluffiness)
- 10 Dates (Medjool)
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup of raisins, soaked to plumpness
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup Organic Walnuts, chopped
- 6 TBS of erythritol
- In a food processor, using the grating blade, shred carrots or use a spiralizer
- Place carrots in a large ziplock bag/ bowl and pour maple syrup over carrots and let marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a small mixing bowl, add sifted coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Make date mixture with 10 medjool dates and 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl or kitchen mixer, blend eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and date mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and blend
- Drain raisins from water and add into cake mixture
- Remove carrots from the fridge, and drain the excess maple syrup from the carrots using a colander
- Stir grated carrots into cake batter
- Take separated egg white and with a hand blender, whip until white peaks form
- Fold egg whites into the cake mixture
- Grease two 9-inch cake pans with coconut oil or cupcake tins
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes. (For easy removal you can line the cake pans with parchment paper)
- Test center with a tooth pick—if the tooth pick comes out clean, then the cakes are done.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool.
- Frost cake with cream cheese frosting, garnish with walnuts, and serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients for “Cream Cheese”:
- 2/3 cup raw organic cashew butter
- 1/3 cup organic palm shortening
- 2 tsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground sea salt
Directions for “Cream Cheese”:
- Combine all ingredients at room temperature using a mixer, stand mixer, or powerful blender. The longer you whip, the smoother your mix will be. If desired, add in the vinegar and lemon juice to the mix slowly, tasting as you go, to customize your desired level of tanginess.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Grade B Maple Syrup
- 16 oz Full Fat Cream Cheese
- Combine all ingredients until fully incorporated
- Frost your Carrot Cake!