So, an old HS friend who now lives in NYC with me was telling me how her good Wake friend just got this cool job at a new health start-up in the city. Of course, I was intrigued. She was … Continue reading
I bought this pre-cooked pork belly a few months back from TJ’s. I put it in my freezer and completely forgot about it, until I was rifling through for something quick I could whip up. I kid you not- this … Continue reading
My roommate and I get fresh organic veggies delivered every two weeks to our NYC apartment. This week we got a unusually LARGE purple cabbage. I don’t cook with cabbage much, but I L♥VE the crunch it puts in salads. So I decided to opt for a super fall-ish super food salad. Gettin’ my greens on!
Aren’t they beautiful! Green goodness jam packed with vitamins, minerals, and pure l♥ve… I love em’ and my body love em’ even more. HOLLA! My secret mixture? Fresh kale, chopped purple cabbage (the reason for this creation in the first place), & RAW (yes, raw) brussels sprouts! So yummy & crunchy. They great part about this – since everything is raw – you can put the dressing on it overnight and it won’t get all soggy. AMAZINGNESS! Actually, it tastes even better because all the flavors have soaked into the greens. Mmm Mmm good…
With these sorta greens and with fall in full force, I usually opt for a homemade apple cider vinaigrette dressing. Not to toot my own horn, but I NAILED the dressing. It soooo tastyyy!
Super Food Salad
- 1 head of purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 large bunch of kale, chopped
- 1 lbs. of brussels sprouts, chopped
- Avocado (A MUST!)
- Dried cranberries
- Fresh berries
- Roasted squash
- Pumpkin seeds
- Grilled chicken
- Dried apple rings, chopped
- Roasted pears (SO YUMMY)
- Roasted green grapes
- Chop all the greens up and place in a large metal bowl, store in the fridge for up to 5 days
- Take small amounts of the salad out as you like and add other fall-esc ingredients!
- Toss with apple cider vinaigrette dressing
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 cup of apple cider, all natural
- 3/4 cup of olive oil (I use a little less)
- 1/4 cup of brown spicy mustard
- 4 Tbs. of apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. onion powder
- 3 Tbs. garlic powder
- Salt & pepp
- 1-2 Tbs. Maple Syrup or a few drops of stevie (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a jar and shake, shake, shake!
- Make sure to taste it and adjust the flavor to your liking- these are rough variables for this recipe