This is such an easy week night recipe and it SO good. It’s jam-packed with yummy flavors. I’ve been using Mario Batali’s new tomato sauce and it delish. It is made with all natural ingredients and has no added sugars, flavoring, NOTHING. Plus, it’s made with olive oil, not canola oil- p.s. this is hard to come by in most jarred sauces. There are a lot of brands now that use “real” ingredients in the sauce, but they cost you an arm and a leg. I order Mario’s sauce on Walmart for 5.94 for a 24 oz. jar…if you don’t know, THATS A LOTTA SAUCE PEOPLE.
As for the sausage links, to save money – and time- I’ve been buying the spicy Italian chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s. They are GREAT. Not only are they cheap, these also have NO weird added ingredients, and – I can’t even believe it – NO SUGAR. Usually ALL packaged sausage, of any kind, has added sugar in it. So these lil’ babies are quite the find.
Enjoy this Italian goodness!!
Italian Style Skillet
- 2 Tbs of olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (you could use red bell pepper too!)
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 3-4 slices of pepperoni, chopped
- 3-4 slices of bacon, roughly chopped
- 3 sausage links (you can use chicken sausage too!), sliced
- 2-3 cups of tomato sauce (depending on how saucy you like it) – you can use a jar of sauce, just make sure there is no added preservatives or sugars
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes, 1 tsp if you like heat!
- salt & pepp (you don’t need a lot of salt because the bacon adds a good amount!)
- Place olive oil into skillet and heat for a few minutes on low-medium heat
- Place chopped onion and garlic into the pan and heat until onion becomes semi-translucent
- Add the crushed red pepper
- Once it starts to head up, add the bacon and pepperoni and cook until both become a little crispy
- Add the chopped green pepper and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the pepper becomes a little browned and soft
- Place the sliced links into the pan and cook until the pieces are lightly browned
- Add the tomato sauce and let it simmer on low until heated all the way through
- Top with more red pepper flakes and nutritional yeast (to give it a bit of cheeeeeziee flavor…YUM)!